Adventure Under the Northern Lights
Adventure Under the Northern Lights
Adventure under the Northern Lights
8 days – 7 nights
Stockholm, Swedish Lapland, Kiruna, Muonio, Kittila
Eco-Tourism, Nature, Discovery, Culture
This program may be operated for individual or for small groups
This is a suggested itinerary – Please call us to customize
Day 1: Kiruna, Lapland (The 4 major Lapp predators)
Upon arrival, transfer to your accommodation, located on the Finnish-Swedish border in the middle of nature (1 hour). Welcome by your local hosts with a welcome drink and discussion of the program of activities. After dinner, first presentation of the series on Scandinavian fauna “the great predators of Lapland”: today, the lynx, shy and discreet. Night in a wooden chalet. With any luck, you might already see the Northern Lights dancing in the sky on that first night out in Lapland. Know that according to a Finnish legend, a magical fox roams the Arctic mountains, swirling the snow and lighting up the sky with its tail that projects sparks. The modern Finnish term for the aurora, revontulet, meaning "fox fires", comes directly from this myth. [D]
Day 2: Lapland (Snowshoes in the Lappish taiga)
Depart with your experienced local guide for a day exploring the untouched nature of this region of Swedish Lapland. Snowshoes on your feet, you follow the tracks of birds and other animals in the immaculate snow through these magnificent landscapes. Picnic lunch around a fire. You walk in deep snow through this forest, above frozen marshes, along tunturi (hills), in the middle of immense Lappish spaces, in a soothing silence. After dinner, presentation of the second of the 4 major Lapp predators: the mysterious glutton. [B/L/D]
Note: Between 3h and 6h hours of walking
Day 3: Lapland (Lakes and hills by dog sled)
Today we reach the kennel where the sled dogs await us. You are greeted by a professional musher who presents his pack, the habits and behavior of his dogs. After driving instructions, let's go for a hike through the taiga (two people per sled). Picnic lunch under kota, near the fire. Back in the afternoon, introduction to forest skiing, the handling of which is very intuitive. Continuation of the presentations in the evening, today the third major Lapp predator: the "big and bad" wolf. [B/L/D]
Note: Between 2h30 and 4h hours of walking
Day 4: Lapland (Snowmobile adventure, snowshoe or ski ride)
Free day. You may take advantage of this day to go on snowshoes (rental on site) in complete freedom to explore the picturesque surroundings, at your own pace. If you are active and in search of thrills, you will certainly prefer an optional dynamic activity: the speed of the snowmobile, with the free glide on the lakes, the turns in the powder, the climbs to the top of the tunturi to have an excellent view of the region. After dinner, further presentations: this evening, the fourth and last great predator of Lapland: the brown bear, the master of the taiga. In the evening, if the weather conditions are favorable and depending on solar activity, you will take an outing with your guide to admire the Northern Lights and learn more about this mysterious and bewitching phenomenon of the Far North. [B/L/D]
Day 5: Lapland (Reindeer herders and the large Lappish spaces)
You are in the heart of a region of reindeer herders, and today you are going to meet a Sami family. You will discover the daily life of this family of breeders who live somewhere between the world of traditions with the ancestral vocation of reindeer herding, and that of modernity in the countries of northern Europe. The guide makes you discover the immensity of the Lappish taiga, from your reindeer sleigh. Only the screeching of the skates and the breath of the reindeer disturb the silence of nature, plunging you into a Nordic atmosphere in the heart of the snow-covered forest. The local guide invites you to his kota to tell you about his profession and the customs of his people. An authentic experience that will allow you to learn a little more about the Sami culture. [B/L/D]
Note: Between 2h30 and 3h30 hours of walking
Day 6: Lapland (Forest skiing and trapper experience)
Today begins a 2-day adventure; Forest skis on your feet, you go on a mini-raid. You first learn the basic walk-glide technique on these large traditional skis for clearing your way in deep snow. With the day's gear in a small, light backpack, you cycle through a landscape of pine-covered hills, frozen rivers, and majestic valleys inhabited by many elk and reindeer. Your overnight accommodation is a stove-heated refuge. Everyone participates in the preparation of dinner and the heating of the Finnish sauna before plunging into the snow and then enjoying a good rest, if the Northern Lights do not keep you awake! [B/L/D]
Note: Between 3h and 6h Hours of walking
Day 7: Lapland (Expedition in the taiga)
After breakfast, you put on your skis again. The return route will be defined on site, depending on the location of the reindeer herds so as not to disturb the animals. In the forest, it is not uncommon to see moose and see traces of lynx or wolverines. In the afternoon, return to your accommodation where an excellent well-deserved hot sauna awaits you! This last evening will be punctuated by discussions on the significant experiences and memories of your week in Lapland. [B/L/D]
Note: between 3h and 6h hours of walking
Day 8: Lapland, Kiruna, USA
After breakfast, transfer to Kiruna airport to board your connecting flight back home. [B]
Physical level: Good physical condition required
[B] = Breakfast | [D] = Dinner | [B/L/D] = Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner]
- Round-trip airfare USA-Stockholm
- Round-trip airfare Stockholm-Kiruna
- 7 night’s accommodation in Lapland
- Breakfast daily
- 6 lunches
- 7 dinners
- The 4 major Lapp predators
- Snowshoes in the Lappish taiga
- Lakes and hills by dog sled
- Reindeer herders and the large Lappish spaces
- Forest skiing and trapper experience
- Expedition in the taiga
- The unique encounter with a Sami breeder
- Varied activities: skiing, snowshoeing, dog sledding
- English-speaking Local Finnish or Swedish guide
- English-speaking local professional musher for dog sledding
- English speaking Sami reindeer herding family
- Local taxes
Not included in tour
- Taxes or surcharges related to airline tickets
- Travel Insurance
- All alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- Other meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Extras and gratuities
- Early check-in, late check-out
- Expenses of personal nature
- Anything not mentioned in the itinerary
- Tips to driver and guides
Locations will be determined by weather conditions at time of trip
From: $3,759 including airfare
Add-ons available from all US gateways.
Prices are per person and may change without notice
These programs can be customized for individuals and for small groups of maximum 12 people.
Changes to this program may be requested by phone (1855-55-TOURS) or using the web FIT Quote Request
We also be glad to add the necessary airfare from your gateway so you take advantage of our special discounted leisure fares
You may add or remove;
Cities and sites
The program was designed with private services, however, we may substitute shared sightseeing where available
If you prefer deluxe services we may operate this program including private driver, private guide and concierge service.
Once we have designed the program the way you want we'll give you a quote within 2 business days.
Tour Code: SE03KRN21VT
- The options suggested in the itinerary will be quoted at time of booking
- Lunches and dinners can be arranged for individuals, families and groups at top restaurants or any restaurant requested by you.
- We can revise the itinerary to spend more time and provide more depth in those areas that you are interested on.
- Any other changes to the itinerary will be accommodated depending on the facilities available in the area.
- If you wish to use these programs for your group or as the basis for a customized journey please either call us (1-855-55-TOURS or use the web Group Quote Request.
- In either case our specialists will work with to refine all the details and they will get you a quote with 2 business days. Quotes may be obtained for the air and land portions of just for the lad journey.
- Booking both air an land with us will represent savings for you because of our buying power and longtime relationship with the airlines.
- We will also may have the choice between regular fares and special leisure fares not available to the public.