9 days – 8 nights
Tbilisi, Mtskheta, Ananuri, Gudauri, Dariali Valley, Kazbegi, Sno, Truso Valley, Pshavi, Shatili, Mutso
Discovery, Culture, History, Adventure
Operates May through October
This program may be operated for individuals or for groups
Day 1: Tbilisi
Early arrival at Tbilisi Airport. After Immigration and Custom formalities. you’ll be met by your guide for a transfer to the hotel.
Day 2: Tbilisi, Mtskheta, Ananuri, Gudauri
Departure to Gudauri to visit the Svetitskhoveli and Jvari (6th CE) monasteries in Mtskheta. The first stop of the day is the Jvari Monastery, situated on a large hill that overlooks the town of Mtskheta and rises just above a huge stretch of river at the confluence of the Koura and Aragvi rivers providing a really beautiful view. Jvari Monastery was built in the 6th century, then a stone wall was erected in the Middle Ages to protect the complex. Today, only ruins remain, but the church, located in the center, is still standing and can be visited. The Svetitskhoveli Cathedral (4th century) is one of the most sacred and magnificent churches in Georgia, and the second holy place of Christ, after the Church of Jerusalem, known for its bloody treasures and the cornerstones of the church. The architecture of the cathedral, surrounded by outside walls, is magnificent. Beautifully and finely decorated, it exposes many beautiful paintings and maps. Several members of the Georgian royal family, including the last two generations of the Kings of Georgia, rest there. Continue to Ananuri to explore the Castle complex, scene of numerous battles in the past. Then, head to Gudauri, one of the most famous ski resorts in Georgia at the height of 7,200 feet. Dinner and overnight at the hotel. [B/D]
Note: To visit the Churches men cannot wear shorts and women must have their heads covered.
Day 3: Gudauri, Dariali Valley, Kazbegi
Departure to Dariali Valley to admire the waterfall and the national park. Enjoy the tranquility of this harmonious place. In the afternoon, departure to Kazbegi (now Stepantsminda), which is famous with its scenic location in the Greater Caucasus Mountains and is the center for trekking and mountain climbing. Dinner and overnight. [B/D]
Day 4: Kazbegi (Sno)
A short drive to Sno village to visit the summer residence and patrimonial tower of the current Catholic-Patriarch of Georgia. Visit the towers of Phshansheta dating from the 16th and 17th centuries and the Church of Saint Mary in Sioni, built in the 9th century, where the influence of western European architecture can be noted. Enjoy the unspoiled nature while trekking in the Juta valley. Back to Kazbegi for dinner and overnight. [B/D]
Day 5: Kazbegi (Truso Valley)
Today’s excursion will take you to the beautiful Truso Valley, situated 7,217 feet above sea level. Then, we drive to Pasanauri, a popular tourist destination in Georgia due to its picturesque location, its mineral water as well, hiking routes, handcrafted items and local food. After the visit, enjoy dinner at traditional music at Guda Restaurant. Return to Kazbegi for overnight. [B/D]
Day 6: Kazbegi, Pshavi, Shatili
Departure to Pshavi with the possibility of visiting the museum-house of famous Georgian writer Vazha Phshavela. The next stop is Kistani fortress, located on a hill top, a holy place for locals. Then, stop to see the waterfall “traveler’s tears”, which falls directly down on to the road, before continuing to Shatili for dinner and overnight. [B/D]
Day 7: Shatili (Mutso)
Explore the unique complex of medieval fortresses and fortified dwellings of stone and mortar, that functioned both as a residential area which, for centuries, was the strongest outpost in northern Georgia, controlling the roads and protecting the state border. The village, strikingly integrated in the surrounding landscape thanks to the harmonious use of materials, was inhabited from the 10th century onwards. The harsh climate, the lack of arable land, the poor infrastructure together with water shortages led to its depopulation by the middle of the 20th-century. The remarkable fortified settlement consists of the terraced structures dominated by flat-roofed dwellings and about 60 towers clustering together to create a single chain of fortifications. After visiting the ruins of the ancient castles and towers we return to Shatili for dinner and overnight. [B/D]
Day 8: Shatili, Tbilisi
Morning drive to Tbilisi arriving in time for lunch. This afternoon, encounter the true Tbilisi spirit, with the visits to the Old Tbilisi Sulfur Baths, Georgian Orthodox and Armenian Gregorian churches, and a Jewish synagogue and a Turkish mosque side by side, reflecting Tbilisi's acceptance and tolerance of different religions. Observe the 19th century wooden Italian dwellings that are still preserved here. See a recent monument, the Tbilisi Sameba Cathedral, the largest cathedral in the Caucasus. Tonight, join your guide for a typical farewell dinner at a local restaurant. Overnight in Tbiisi. [B/D]
Day 9: Tbilisi, USA
Very early transfer to the airport to board your flight back home.
[B] = Breakfast | [B/D] = Breakfast and Dinner
· Round-trip airfare New York/Tbilisi
· Arrival and departure transfers
· 8 nights’ accommodation:
o Tbilisi 2 nights
o Gudauri 1 night
o Stepantsminda 3 nights
o Shatili 2 nights
o Breakfast daily
o 1 typical lunch
o 6 dinners
o 1 farewell dinner
· Visit Jvary Monastery
· Visit Svetitskhoveli Cathedral
· Tour of Dariali Valley
· Sightseeing of Phshansheta towers
· Visit of Saint Mary in Sioni Church
· Tour the Juta Valley
· Excursion to Truso Valley
· Tour the museum-house Georgian writer Vazha Phshavela
· Visit Kistani Fortress
· Explore Mtso’s Medieval complex
· Old Tbilisi Sulfur Baths
· Tbilisi Orthodox & Armenian churches
· Tbilisi Jewish synagogue & Turkish mosque
· Tbilisi Sameba Cathedral
· English-speaking driver/guide
· Modern vehicle
· Entrance fees for sites visited
· All local taxes
· Airfare related taxes and fees
· Travel insurance
· Meals not specified in the program
· Optional activities or tours
· Tips to guides and/or drivers
· Local and/or international phone calls
· Personal and/or medical expenses
· Airport departure tax
|Gudauri||Gudauri Lodge||First Class||4.5|
|Kazbegi||Rooms Hotel Kazbegi||First Class||4.5|
|Shatili||Tourist Complex Khomi||Lodge||5|
Hotels will be confirmed at time of booking
Price on request
This program can be customized for individuals and groups.
Changes to this program may be requested by phone (1855-55-TOURS) or using the web FIT Quote Request
We also be glad to adjust the airfare from your gateway so you take advantage of our special discounted leisure fares
You may add or remove;
o Trip days
o Cities and sites
· Other options
o The program was designed with private services, however, we may substitute shared sightseeing where available
o If you prefer deluxe services we may operate this program including private driver, private guide and concierge service.
Once we have designed the program the way you want we'll give you a quote within 2 business days.
Tour Code: GE02TBS22VT
· Lunches and dinners can be arranged for individuals, families and groups at top restaurants or any restaurant requested by you.
· We can revise the itinerary to spend more time and provide more depth in those areas that you are interested on.
· Any other changes to the itinerary will be accommodated depending on the facilities available in the area.
· Private arrival and/or departure transfer
· The options suggested in the itinerary will be quoted at time of booking
· If you wish to use these programs for your group or as the basis for a customized journey please either call us (1-855-55-TOURS or use the web Group Quote Request.
· In either case our specialists will work with to refine all the details and they will get you a quote with 2 business days. Quotes may be obtained for the air and land portions of just for the lad journey.
· Booking both air and land with us will represent savings for you because of our buying power and longtime relationship with the airlines.
· We will also may have the choice between regular fares and special leisure fares not available to the public.