Discover the Azores
Discover the Azores
|Purpose:||Ecotourism, Relaxation, Discovery, Culture|
|No. of days:||7 days - 6 nights|
|First & Last Cities:||Ponta Delgada|
|Other cities:||Vila Franca do Campo, Ribeira Grande, Lagoa do Fogo, Caldeira Velha, Furnas, Lagoa das Furnas, Lagoa das Sete Cidades|
|Starting cost:||From: $1,859 including airfare|
Day 1: Ponta Delgada
Arrival at the airport of Ponta Delgada and transfer to the hotel located in the capital of the Island of Ponta Delgada is a modern city that preserves its original character with its narrow streets full of traditional trade, markets and delicacy shops. Dinner and overnight stay at the hotel. [D]
Day 2: Ponta Delgada (Vila Franca do Campo)
Breakfast and departure to visit the heart of Ponta Delgada, from the Square of Gonçalo Velho Cabral, to the Graca market, the Fort of São Brás, to the Church of Senhor Santo Cristo/ Church of Nossa Senhora da Esperança, stopping at the Campo of São Francisco, where the second most important religious event of the country is held, and the Church of the Jesuit College of Ponta Delgada. Free time for lunch in Ponta Delgada. Following lunch, we go to Vila Franca do Campo - the first capital of the island, where the Islet of Vila Franca is located which was made a natural reserve in 1983 and which can only be visited between June and September. We should not leave without tasting the traditional “queijadas” of Vila Franca do Campo, we are able to visit the factory where we can learn the method of preparation of these traditional island cake and of course to taste it! Our day ends at the Sanctuary of Nossa Senhora da Paz, a small shrine with a staircase of 1 00 steps. The current temple dates to the 18th century and has been built on a previous one probably dating from the 16th century, it was built by the population to honor the Virgin, because on that location a shepherd, miraculously found, a picture of her. Return to the hotel at the end of the day for dinner and overnight stay. [B/D]
Day 3: Ponta Delgada (Ribeira Grande, Lagoa do Fogo, Caldeira Velha)
Breakfast and departure to discover one of the 7 Wonders of Portugal, the Lagoa do Fogo (visit subject to weather conditions). In the view-point we will have the opportunity to observe the magnificent view. We descend toward the Caldeira Velha which is formed by waterfalls, pools of thermal waters with an average temperature of 34 degrees, where it is possible to bath. Free time for lunch. ln the after-noon we will have a small tour in the city of Ribeira Grande, of baroque architecture, where we can find the building in which the Theater is located that has been functioning since 1922, the Manueline window and the Nossa Senhora da Estrela Church. Before returning to the hotel we will have time to toast our first day of discovery. We will visit the Mulher of the Capote factory where we will taste some regional liquors. Return to the hotel at the end of the day for dinner and overnight stay. [B/D]
Day 4: Ponta Delgada (Furnas)
Breakfast at the hotel and departure towards the Furnas Valley (one of the main reasons for visiting the Azores) which is part of one of the three central active volcanoes of São Miguel Island. Here the smell of sulfur and the bubbling fumaroles, are character-istic. A stop at Lagoa das Furnas. where the famous Furnas Stew is cooked inside the earth, which we have the opportunity to taste at lunch in one the local restaurants. In the west bank at the Lagoa das Furnas we will find the Nossa Senhora das Vitórias Chapel, an impressive example of the neo-gothic style, unique in the archipelago. During the afternoon, a visit to the calderas and the village, our next stop is at the Terra Nostra Park, a bicentennial garden with unique species and a superb thermal pool (possibility of bathing]. The park is a unique repository of tree. plants and Other plant species from all over the world. Return to the hotel at the end of the day for dinner and overnight stay. [B/D]
Day 5: Ponta Delgada (Sete Cidades)
Breakfast and departure from the Hotel towards Sete Cidades. We are setting off on an adventure and discover the Wetland Lake, then the Lagoa of Canário, visit the viewpoint of grota do inferno, stop at the viewing point of king’s View and then to the Curneeiras of Sete Cidades. Here we descend to the
village where we shall have lunch at local restaurant. After lunch we will have the oppor-tunity to one at the following activities: Canoeing in the Iagoon or stand up paddle, a better scenario is impossible! Return to the hotel at the end of the day for dinner and overnight stay. [B/D]
Day 6: Ponta Delgada (Pineapple & Tea)
Breakfast and departure from the hotel to visit a pineapple greenhouse with over 100 years of history. The Portuguese discovered the fruit at the time of the colonization of Brazil and brought it to the archipelago. Here, the Pineapple is produced in glass greenhouses, with the use of traditional cultivation techniques such as applying "smoke" and using the “hot bed”, based on plant matter. Then, continue to the tea plantations to visit the oldest tea plantation in Europe since 1883. The art of cultivating tea was introduced in the Azores by two Chinese experts in September 1874. A visit of the factory to get to know the production process, tea tasting. Return to Ponta Delgada. Free afternoon to enjoy the city. Dinner and overnight stay at the Hotel. [B/D]
Day 7: Ponta Delgada, USA
Enjoy breakfast at the hotel and be ready for check-out. At the appointed time you’ll be met by your driver and transferred to Ponta Delgada where you’ll board your flight back to the USA. [B]
[B] = Breakfast | [B/D] = Breakfast and Dinner
· Round-trip airfare New York/Ponta Delgada
· Arrival and departure transfers:
· 6-nights’ accommodation
o Breakfast daily
o 2 lunches
o Dinner daily
· Walking Tour in Ponta Delgada and Tour to Vila Franca do Campo (Full-day);
· Full-day tour Lagoa do Fogo, Ribeira Grande and Caldeira Velha;
· Full day Furnas with the traditional lunch “Cozido”
· Half-day “O Ananás e o Chá” (Pineaple & Tea)
· Full-day Sete Cidades including lunch
· Official guide for excursions
· Entrance fees for sites visited
· Transportation by A/C vehicles
· All hotel taxes
· Airfare related taxes
· Travel insurance
· Meals and beverages not mentioned under inclusions
· Guide service
· Porterage service
· Expenses of a personal nature
· Any item not mentioned as “Included”
· Tips to guides or drivers
· Other services not mentioned in the program
|Ponta Delgada||Azores Royal Garden||4|
|Season||2-3 Pax||4-5 Pax||6-7 Pax||8-9 Pax|
Airfares available from all US gateways.
Prices are per person, are valid through September ‘22 and may change without notice
This program can be customized for individuals and groups.
Changes to this program may be requested by phone (1855-55-TOURS) or using the web FIT Quote Request
We also be glad to adjust the airfare from your gateway so you take advantage of our special discounted leisure fares
You may add or remove;
o Trip days
o Cities and sites
· Other options
o The program was designed with private services, however, we may substitute shared sightseeing where available
o If you prefer deluxe services we may operate this program including private driver, private guide and concierge service.
Once we have designed the program the way you want we'll give you a quote within 2 business days.
Tour Code: PT10PDL22OT
- Lunches and dinners can be arranged for individuals, families and groups at top restaurants or any restaurant requested by you.
- We can revise the itinerary to spend more time and provide more depth in those areas that you are interested on.
- Any other changes to the itinerary will be accommodated depending on the facilities available in the area.
- Private arrival and/or departure transfer
- The options suggested in the itinerary will be quoted at time of booking
- If you wish to use these programs for your group or as the basis for a customized journey please either call us (1-855-55-TOURS or use the web Group Quote Request.
- In either case our specialists will work with to refine all the details and they will get you a quote with 2 business days. Quotes may be obtained for the air and land portions of just for the lad journey.
- Booking both air and land with us will represent savings for you because of our buying power and longtime relationship with the airlines.
- We will also may have the choice between regular fares and special leisure fares not available to the public.