Highlights of Portugal
Highlights of Portugal
|Purpose:||Discovery, Culture, History|
|No. of days:||9 days - 8 nights|
|First & Last Cities:||Oporto, Lisbon|
|Other cities:||Viana do Castelo, Braga, GuimarÃ£es, Coimbra, Fatima, Sintra, Cascais, Estoril, Obidos, AlcobaÃ§a, NazarÃ©, Batalha, Evora, Estremoz|
|Starting cost:||From: $795 including airfare|
Day 1: Oporto
Upon arrival at Oporto airport you’ll be met and transferred to your hotel in the city. If you are on a self-drive tour you’ll pick-up the rental car at the airport. Rest of the day is at leisure to rest and relax. Overnight in Oporto.
Day 2: Oporto
Breakfast at the hotel. With a magnificent location near the mouth of the Douro and an architectonic ensemble of exceptional value, the historic center of Oporto is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We will visit1 the 12th century Cathedral (visit to the cloisters is not include), the Church of São Francisco, whose interior is covered with gold, is one of the most remarkable examples of Portuguese Baroque. Also discover other important places, such as the Lello Bookstore, the Majestic Café and the magnificent São Bento Station. Free time for lunch. We leave in the direction of the Serralves Park which extends, from the House of Serralves, on 18 hectares which include gardens, forests, a rose garden and a romantic lake which are a real refuge for who wants to flee the confusion of the city. The day ends with a visit to a Port Wine Cellar to taste this fortified wine and with a 50-minutes boat trip on the Douro river. Return to the hotel. Overnight in Oporto. [B]
Day 3: Oporto (Viana do Castelo, Braga, Guimarães)
Breakfast at the hotel. Departure to Viana do Castelo, a seaside town, at the mouth of the Lima River, famous for its craftsmanship and for the colors of its regional costumes. At the top, overlooking the city, stands the shrine of Santa Luzia. Direction Braga, one of the oldest Christian cities in the world with a vast religious heritage, as are the sanctuaries that make up the triangle of faith: the Cathedral and the Sanctuaries of Bom Jesus and Sameiro. Continuation to Guimarães, considered as the cradle of Portugal, because it was born Afonso Henriques who will become the first king of this country. Associated with the formation and identity of Portugal, the historic center of Guimarães located within the walls has been declared World Heritage by UNESCO, based on the values of originality and authenticity that have guided its renovation. Return to Oporto. Overnight in Oporto. [B]
Day 4: Oporto, Coimbra, Fatima, Lisbon
Breakfast at the hotel and check-out. We descend to Coimbra, the city of students, so called to host one of the first universities in Europe and the largest in the country. Stroll in the oldest part of Coimbra, made of narrow and steep streets that lead to the top of the hill. Continuation to Fátima, place of faith and a pilgrimage world center. Overnight in Lisbon. [B]
Day 5: Lisbon
Breakfast at the hotel. Departure to the district of Castelo, to visit2 the Castle of São Jorge, located on the highest hill of Lisbon, one of the most emblematic monuments of the capital. Then we will descend the old district of Alfama, characterized by its white houses, labyrinthine streets, inner courtyards and dead ends. Free time for lunch. We leave to Belém, where monuments referring to the Maritime Discovery era in the 15th and 16th centuries were erected, such as the Belém Tower, the Monument to the Discoveries and the Jerónimos Monastery. Visit to the National Coaches Museum, containing one of the most important and rich collections of coaches in the world. Return to the hotel. Overnight in Lisbon. [B]
Day 6: Lisbon (Sintra, Cascais, Estoril)
Breakfast at the hotel. Departure from the hotel towards Sintra, a magnificent UNESCO World Heritage site. Discover the charms and history of the town that enchanted kings and poets. Visit to the romantic National Pena Palace. If weather permits, we will then stop at the westernmost point of mainland Europe, Cabo da Roca. On the way to Cascais along the coast, be dazzled by the seascape. In Estoril, place where Ian Fleming got the idea for the James Bond character, we highlight the gardens of one of the largest Casinos in Europe. Return to the hotel. Overnight in Lisbon. [B]
Day 7: Lisbon (Obidos, Alcobaça, Nazaré, Batalha)
Breakfast at the hotel. Departure to the charming village of Óbidos. Travel back in time to this walled medieval town and admire its Gothic churches and narrow, winding streets. We continue to Alcobaça, to visit the church of the monastery of Santa Maria, the largest in the country, known for its medieval architecture. The lunch break will be at the picturesque fishing village of Nazaré, where we can enjoy the beautiful bay. Nazaré is also known for having a sea with big waves, which is the joy of surfers. We will resume our visit with a trip to Batalha, to visit the church of the Dominican monastery of Santa Maria da Vitória. This monastery, like the one in Alcobaça, has received the attention of UNESCO. Return to Lisbon. Overnight in Lisbon. [B]
Day 8: Lisbon (Evora, Estremoz)
Breakfast at the hotel. Departure to Évora, a World Heritage Site: bright, surrounded by ramparts, it houses a superb monumental complex including the Roman Temple of Diana, the imposing Cathedral, the Church of São Francisco and its mysterious Chapel of Bones. Visit to a wine estate with wine tasting. Departure to Estremoz, knowned as "the white city" due to its block of houses of this color, but also to be one of the largest exporters of white marble in the world. Return to Lisbon. Overnight in Lisbon. [B]
Day 9: Lisbon, USA
Breakfast at the hotel and check-out. Self-drivers will drop off the car at Lisbon airport. The other will be picked-up at the hotel at the appointed time and transferred to Lisbon Portela Airport. [B]
[B] = Breakfast
Note: Most monuments are closed on Mondays and on national holidays.
- Airfare USA-Oprto/Lisbon-USA
- Arrival and departure transfers
- 8 nights’ accommodation
- Breakfast daily
- A/C transport during the mentioned itinerary
- Entrance fees for the following monuments
- Church of São Francisco, Oporto
- Serralves Park, Oporto
- Castle of São Jorge, Lisbon
- National Coaches Museum, Lisbon
- National Pena Palace, Sintra
- Guided visit to a Port wine cellar with wine tasting
- Guided visit to a wine estate with wine tasting
- 50-minutes boat trip on the Douro river
- Local Taxes
Not included in tour
- Taxes related to airfares
- Travel insurance
- Meals and beverages not mentioned under inclusions
- Guide service
- City tax in Lisbon of € 1,00 per person/night
- City tax in Oporto of € 2,00 per person/ night
- Porterage service
- Expenses of a personal nature
- Any item not mentioned as “Included”
- Tips to guides or drivers
- Other services not mentioned in the program.
Hotels in your Tour
|Oporto||HF Tuela Oporto||4|
|Oporto||Vila Galé Oporto||4|
|Lisbon||Tivoli Avenida Liberdade||4|
|Oporto||Pestana Vintage Oporto||4.5|
Hotels will be confirmed at time of booking
These programs can be customized for individuals and groups.
Changes to this program may be requested by phone (1855-55-TOURS) or using the web FIT Quote Request
We also be glad to adjust the airfare from your gateway so you take advantage of our special discounted leisure fares
You may add or remove;
Cities and sites
The program was designed with private services, however, we may substitute shared sightseeing where available
If you prefer deluxe services we may operate this program including private driver, private guide and concierge service.
Once we have designed the program the way you want we'll give you a quote within 2 business days.
Tour Code: PT04OPO21OT
- Lunches and dinners can be arranged for individuals, families and groups at top restaurants or any restaurant requested by you.
- We can revise the itinerary to spend more time and provide more depth in those areas that you are interested on.
- Any other changes to the itinerary will be accommodated depending on the facilities available in the area.
- Private arrival and/or departure transfer
- The options suggested in the itinerary will be quoted at time of booking
- If you wish to use these programs for your group or as the basis for a customized journey please either call us (1-855-55-TOURS or use the web Group Quote Request.
- In either case our specialists will work with to refine all the details and they will get you a quote with 2 business days. Quotes may be obtained for the air and land portions of just for the lad journey.
- Booking both air and land with us will represent savings for you because of our buying power and longtime relationship with the airlines.
- We will also may have the choice between regular fares and special leisure fares not available to the public.