Shrines of Southern Italy
||Faith, Art, History, Culture, Fun
|No. of days:
||10 days â€“ 8 nights
|First & Last Cities:
||San Giovanni Rotondo, Lanciano, Loreto, Assissi, Orvieto, Vatican
Day 1 – NYC, Rome, Bari
Depart from New York on overnight flight to Bari via Milan or Rome, dinner and breakfast on board.
Day 2: San Giovanni Rotondo
Arrive in Bari, meet with your guide and transfer to your hotel in San Giovanni Rotondo. Enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure. Overnight: San Giovanni Rotondo. [D]
Day 3: San Giovanni Rotondo (Monte Sant'Angelo)
Tour the sanctuary: the museum where St. Pio’s tomb is on view; his Confessional from where he performed many miracles and the choir loft where he received the Stigmata. In the afternoon enjoy a breathtaking view of the Gargano Peninsula visiting the Grotto of St. Michael the Archangel. A panoramic view of the sea and the surrounding countryside awaits you at this most celebrated shrine of early Christianity, a shrine consecrated by St. Michael himself in 490. [B/D]
Day 4 – San Giovanni Rotondo, Lanciano, Loreto, Assisi
Depart for Lanciano, Loreto and Assisi. First stop Lanciano: visit the church of St. Lagontial and celebrate mass in the very place of the 8th century Eucharistic Miracle. Follow the lush Adriatic coast to the great Marian shrine of Loreto. Visit the Basilica and the “Santa Casa”, the house of the Virgin Mary, which according to the tradition was miraculously transported, by the angels from the Holy Land and the beautiful Madonna of Loreto. Proceed to Assisi, birthplace of St. Francis. Overnight: Assisi x 2 nights. [B/D]
Day 5: Assisi
Celebrate mass at the tomb of St. Francis. Explore the quaint hilltop birthplace of St. Francis which still retains something of the atmosphere of the early 1200s, the period when St. Francis began his ministry. Visit: St. Francis Basilica; the Basilica of St. Mary of the Angels where St. Francis spent most of his life; the Porziuncola Chapel; the rose bush; the cave where the saint retired for prayer; the Church of St. Clare founder of the Order of Poor to see the saint's incorrupt body. St. Clare followed the teachings of St. Francis by living a life of poverty and humility. [B/D]
Day 6 – Assisi, Orvieto, Rome
Early in the morning depart Assisi to Rome; en route stop in the medieval city of Orvieto to visit the marvelous Gothic Cathedral and the spectacular “Well of St. Patrick”. Overnight: Rome x 4 nights. [B/D]
Day 7: Rome*
Tour of Rome including: The Coliseum, the Roman Forum, the Church of St. Peter in Chains to see Michelangelo's unique statue of Moses, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona. [B/D]
Day 8: Rome*
Visit the Religious Rome starting with the Vatican Museums and its unique treasures: the Candelabras, the Tapestries and the Geographic Maps Galleries, the Raphael Rooms and Michelangelo’s magnificent masterpiece: the Sistine Chapel. Continue to St. Peter’s Basilica, the largest church in Christendom and then proceed to visit the three major Basilicas: St. Mary Major, one of the oldest shrines dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, a shrine containing a relic from the manger of the infant Jesus; St. John in Lateran, the former residence of the Popes prior to their return to Rome in 1377; St. Paul Outside the Wall, which houses the remains of St. Paul under its main altar. [B/D]
Day 9: Rome*
Enjoy the day at your leisure to discover Rome by your own: time for last minute shopping or to reflect on the many years of Christian continuity in the world center of the Western Church. [B/D]
Day 10 – Rome, NYC
Transfer to the airport for your return flight to the USA
*IF SUNDAY: attend the Sunday mass in St. Peter’s Square and the Blessing given by His Holiness Pope Francis;
IF WEDNESDAY: attend the weekly Papal Audience in St. Peter’s Square and the Blessing given by His Holiness Pope Francis.
[B] = Breakfast | [B/D] = Breakfast and Dinner | [D] = Dinner
- Round trip flight between the USA and Italy
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Accommodation in select hotels:
- S. Giovanni Rotondo: 2 nights
- Assissi: 2 nights
- Rome – 4 nights
- Breakfast daily
- Dinner daily
- Visits as described in the Itinerary
- Local English-speaking guide for:
- Half day Monte Santangelo
- Full day Lanciano and Loreto
- Full day Assisi
- Half day Orvieto
- Entrance fees for Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel
- Private bus from Day 2 through day 7
- Tour escort traveling with group for the entire tour
- English speaking guide
- All local taxes and service fees
Not included in tour
- Airfare fees and taxes
- Airfare difference between New York and another USA gateway
- Travel Insurance
- Expenses of personal nature
- Meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- Tips to guides or drivers
Hotels in your Tour
|San Giovanni Rotondo
||Villa Raffaello Park Hotel
||Albergo del Senato
|San Giovanni Rotondo
||Gran Paraiso Hotel Spa
||Dal Moro Gallery Hotel
||Martis Palace Hotel
|San Giovanni Rotondo
||Grand Hotel Degli Angeli
||Le Silve de Armenzano Resort
||Elizabeth Unique Hotel
LOCATION: The location may be in the center of Rome or near the Vatican
MEAL PLAN: Normally we include daily breakfast and dinner for all groups. However, the meal plan may vary depending on the organizer's request
The price for the group will be quoted based on the number of passengers, season, hotel type and meal plan.
Group organizers always travel for free if the group has 15 or more paying passengers.
Inclusion of tour conductors must be considered at time of request.
- If you wish to use this program for your group please either call us (1-855-55-TOURS or use the web Group Quote Request.
- In either case our specialists will work with you to refine all the details and they will get you a quote with 2 business days. Quotes may be obtained for the air and land portions of just for the land journey.
- Booking both air and land with us will represent savings for you because of our special Leisure Fares, buying power and longtime relationship with the airlines.
- We will also may have the choice between regular fares and special leisure fares not available to the public.
Tour Code: IT03BRI20GT
- Lunches and dinners can be arranged for groups at top restaurants or any restaurant requested by you.
- We can revise the itinerary to spend more time and provide more depth in those areas that you are interested on.
- Any other changes to the itinerary will be accommodated depending on the facilities available in the area.