Treasures of Tajikistan
Treasures of Tajikistan
Treasures of Tajikistan
8 days - 7 nights
Dushanbe, Hisor, Aïni, Panjakent, Istaravshan, Khujand, Isfara
Adventure, Discovery, Culture
Operates May through October
This program may be operated for individuals or for groups
A word on Tajik weather
During the winter months, extremely low temperatures and high volume of rain make conditions for travel very difficult and quite dangerous, especially in the Pamir where the passes are impracticable. During the Summer months, the temperatures can be very uncomfortable if you have heath conditions. Spring and Fall are the best time to travel to Tajikistan,
Day 1: Dushanbe
After clearing Immigration and Customs at Dushanbe airport our guide will pick you up and escort you to your hotel in the capital.
Day 2: Dushanbe (Hisor)
The morning will be devoted to discovering the capital, the largest city in the country. We will stop at the city center in front of the impressive monument of Amir Ismaїl Samani, the founder of the Samanid dynasty, before heading to the verdant Rudaki Park and the National Museum of Antiquity. Later we will move on to the green market, which is full of spicy flavors of all kinds and Tajik condiments. After lunch, we will leave for the town of Hisor, stopping for a visit to the city fortress, the former residence of the bek or governor general of the country before visiting the Museum of History, the old 16th century Madrasa and the town's craft house. Return to Dushanbe for dinner in a local restaurant an overnight at the hotel. [B/L/D]
Day 3: Dushanbe, Aïni, Panjakent
Morning trip through the Anzob Pass, at 11,063 feet of altitude, where the snow remains present even in the middle of summer. Let yourself be surprised by the surrounding mountainous landscape! Lunch in Aïni, in a local chayhana (tea house) in the city. Then, continue to the city of Panjakent, an ancient Sogdian city dating from the 5th century, located in the picturesque Zerafshan Valley and site of impressive ruins. Archaeologists found evidence that Panjakent was founded around the year 400 and was abandoned by the end of 800. Year 722 marked the arrival of Arab conquerors, which prompted the abandonment of the city and the introduction of the Islamic religion in the region. Unlike most other ancient settlements in central Asia, Ancient Panjakent was abandoned in haste and never built over by subsequent dwellers. One of the most remarkable findings in Ancient Panjakent were the frescoes, some of which were remarkably well preserved and show revealing aspects of life and religious beliefs from the era. In the evening, enjoy a delicious pilaf dish typical of Panjakent. And spend the night with a host family. [B/L/D]
Day 4: Panjakent, Istaravshan
After breakfast, take a tour of Panjakent. Stopping first at the Rudaki Historical and Regional Museum which preserves the oldest cultural values of the indigenous population including some frescoes of the ancient city. Continue to the ancient fortress and Rudaki’s mausoleum, a famous poet and founder of the twentieth century classical Tajik poetry. Later, discover of the remains of the town of Sarazm, which means “where the land begins”, an archaeological site bearing testimony to the development of human settlements in Central Asia, from the 4th millennium BCE to the end of the 3rd millennium BCE. Lunch in a chayhana (tea house) before leaving for the city of Istaravshan via the Shakhristan pass at an elevation of 11,03 feet. Visit of the Sogdian archaeological site of Bunjikath from the 5th-8th centuries that was the capital of the kingdom of Ushrushana. It is noteworthy for a famous Sogdian mural depicting a wolf suckling twins, a clear echo of the Roman legend of Romulus and Remus that is repeated in statues across the country. Evening free for individual discoveries. Dinner in a local restaurant and accommodation in a guest house. [B/L/D]
Day 5: Istaravshan, Khujand
We will take the road north on our way to the museum city of Istaravshan, in the province of Sughd. Visit the remains of Mug Teppe, a dwelling back to the 2nd through the 7th centuries. The trip will continue with the discovery of the fabulous 15th century blue mosque of Kok Gumbaz. Then, meet a woodworker who will show us around his workshop. In the afternoon, departure to Khujand, a city dating from the 7th centuries BC, one of the oldest in Central Asia. Visit the fortress of Timur Malik known to have been the seat of the Tajik people’s liberation during a battle against Genghis Khan. Visit of the municipal museum, religious dwellings renowned for their historic mulberry trees, as well as the monument of Amir Ismaïl Samani, built in 1999. In the evening, dinner by the Sirdari river and overnight n the hotel in Khujand. [B/L/D]
Day 6: Khujand (Isfara)
This morning, visit a gold craftsman in Khujand. Then, discover the Sa'dabad Complex, initially built and inhabited by the Qajar dynasty of monarchs in the 19th century. After the visit, walk to the carpet market and admire the craftmanship of the local weavers. After lunch at a local restaurant, departure to the town of Isfara, located on the border with Kyrgyzstan. Take a tour of the city punctuated by stops at the Sino National Salon, the Khazrati-Shokh Mausoleum - one of the oldest complexes in the country -, the city park and other sights. In the evening, return to Khujand for dinner an overnight with a host family. [B/L/D]
Day 7: Khujand, Dushanbe
Return to the capital via the Shakhristan and Anzob passes stopping for lunch en-route. Arrive in Dushanbe late afternoon in time for an early farewell dinner in the local restaurant "Chayana Rohat". Departure preparations and rest at the hotel. [B/L/D]
Day 8: Dushanbe, USA
Around mid-night be ready for your transfer to the airport to board your flight back home.
[B/L/D] = Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
· Round-trip airfare New York/Dushanbe
· Arrival and departure transfers
· 7 nights’ accommodation:
o Dushanbe 3 nights
o Panjakent 1 night
o Istaravshan 1 night
o Khujand 2 nights
o Breakfast daily
o 6 lunches
o 6 dinners
· Sightseeing tour of Duhanbe
· Excursion to Hisor
· Explore Ancient Panjakent archeologic site
· Experience life with a local family
· Visit Rudaki’s mausoleum
· Discover Ancient Sarzm archeologic site
· Visit 5th century Bunjikath
· Tour the remains of 2nd century Mug Teppe
· Visit the fortress of Timur Malik
· Discover the Sa'dabad Complex
· Isfara city tour
· English speaking guide
· Entrance to all sites visited
· Transport by suitable vehicle
· Mineral water during the tour
· Airfare related taxes and fees
· Airport departure tax
· Travel insurance
· Visa and invitation letter
· Meals not specified in the program
· Optional activities or tours
· Early check-in
· Tips to guides and/or drivers
· Local and/or international phone calls
· Personal and/or medical expenses
Hotels will be confirmed at time of booking
|Room||2-3 Pax||4-5 Pax||6-9 Pax|
Prices are minimum per person and may change without notice.
This program can be customized for individuals and groups.
Changes to this program may be requested by phone (1855-55-TOURS) or using the web FIT Quote Request
We also be glad to adjust the airfare from your gateway so you take advantage of our special discounted leisure fares
You may add or remove;
o Trip days
o Cities and sites
· Other options
o The program was designed with private services; however, we may substitute shared sightseeing where available
o If you prefer deluxe services we may operate this program including private driver, private guide and concierge service.
Once we have designed the program the way you want we'll give you a quote within 2 business days.
Tour Code: TJ02DYU22TET
· Lunches and dinners can be arranged for individuals, families and groups at top restaurants or any restaurant requested by you.
· We can revise the itinerary to spend more time and provide more depth in those areas that you are interested on.
· Any other changes to the itinerary will be accommodated depending on the facilities available in the area.
· Private arrival and/or departure transfer
· The options suggested in the itinerary will be quoted at time of booking
· If you wish to use these programs for your group or as the basis for a customized journey please either call us (1-855-55-TOURS or use the web Group Quote Request.
· In either case our specialists will work with to refine all the details and they will get you a quote with 2 business days. Quotes may be obtained for the air and land portions of just for the lad journey.
· Booking both air and land with us will represent savings for you because of our buying power and longtime relationship with the airlines.
· We will also may have the choice between regular fares and special leisure fares not available to the public.