Treasures of the Tiber
|Purpose:||Discovery, Culture, History, Culinary|
|No. of days:||8 days - 7 nights|
|First & Last Cities:||Roma|
|Other cities:||Terni, Spoleto, Assisi, Perugia, Orvieto, Civita di Bagnoregio|
|Starting cost:||From: $2,179 including airfare|
Day 1: Rome
Upon arrival at Rome’s Fiumicino airport you will be met and assisted on your transfer to your hotel in Rome.
Rest of the day is free. Overnight stay.
Day 2: Rome
After breakfast at your hotel you’ll be picked up for a half-day walking group excursion to the Coliseum, Roman Forum and Palatine Hill. The Coliseum, the most emblematic monument in Rome, originally known as the Flavian Amphitheater, is the well-known place of the gladiators’ games and the theme of many a movie. Close by is an important and unique collection of ruins of what was the heart of Imperial Rome: The Roman Forum and surrounding official buildings! In the same area is the most important elevation of Roman’s history: The Palatine Hill where, according to Roman mythology, the brothers Remus and Romulus, possibly sons of Hercules, were kept alive by a she-wolf and ended-up being the founders of Rome. The rest of the day is at leisure for you to continue exploring. Overnight in Rome. [B]
Day 3: Rome
Today is dedicated to Vatican City. Enjoy breakfast at the hotel before touring the extraordinary Vatican Museums with floors of exhibitions, the impressive Sistine Chapel where Michelangelo painted sacral masterpieces, The Last Judgment probably being the best known, St. Peter’s Basilica and St. Peter’s Square with its colonnade designed and sculpted by Bernini in the 16th Century. The rest of the day is at leisure, to continue to discover Rome. Overnight in Rome. [B]
Day 4: Rome, Assisi, Perugia
Leave Rome after breakfast on your way to Perugia. Panoramic tour of Terni and continuation to Spoleto with stop for lunch at local restaurant. Panoramic tour of Spoleto and continuation to Assisi for a tour of the city of Saint Francis. In Assisi you will enjoy both the city with its history and the life and new spirituality of St. Francis shown in the Basilica of the Saint thanks to a new artistic expression by the greatest artists of the 13 and 14th century. A more interesting place is hard to find, explore the hidden Assisi unknown to mass tourism and experience the real Assisi. Continue to Perugia for overnight. [B/L]
Day 5: Perugia
After breakfast enjoy a private tour of Perugia, the capital of Umbria, and a town founded centuries ago which still preserves old Etruscan gates and city walls. On its central square you will get lost in the symbolism of the Fontana Maggiore and then you will have a nice walk on the city old aqueduct. During your day you will also have the chance of enjoying paintings by Perugino, one of the greatest Italian artists of the Italian Renaissance. Fill your eyes on the endless views of this wonderful city. After the tour, little stop at one of the historical local cafes where each cake is a great work of art and also a part of the city’s sweet tradition. Overnight in Perugia. [B]
Day 6: Perugia, Orvieto
After breakfast, leave for Orvieto. Check in at your hotel then meet the local guide for a private walking tour in the city during which you will visit its famous Duomo (Cathedral), Paglia, Pozzo di S. Patrizio and San Domenico. A stop to enjoy a quick lunch to taste Orvieto’s wines and typical cold cuts and cheese. In the afternoon visit Museo Emilio Greco in Palazzo Soliano, National Archeological Museum and Chiesa Sant’andea. Overnight in Orvieto. [B/L]
Day 7: Orvieto (Civitá Bagnoregio and Bolsena Lake)
After breakfast a short drive to the striking town of Civitá Bagnoregio, built on top of a steep hill and surrounded by canyons that make the place reachable only through a tiny bridge where no car can fit. You can feel history in the smooth cobblestones under your feet. Inside the gate, the charms of Civita are subtle. Those searching for bold tourism won't know where to look. There are no lists of attractions, orientation tours, or museum hours. It's just Italy. Civitá is an artist's dream, a town in the nude. Each lane and footpath hold a surprise. Ivy drapes over arches and scrambles up walls; potted flowers parade across balconies. Exploring the city will create memories that you will never forget. For lunch move to Bolsena where you may enjoy a relaxing walk among the alleys of the town center or along the Lake shores. The lake of Bolsena (known by the local fishermen as “the drinkable lake” for the cleanliness of its waters) is a crater lake, found at the center of an important cultural and naturalistic crossroad, in one of the most beautiful and characteristic settings, between Lazio, Tuscany and Umbria. The lake of Bolsena boasts a natural environment almost completely uncontaminated and is one of a small number of the “great” Italian lakes where bathing is permitted. Return to Orvieto for overnight. [B]
Day 8: Orvieto, Rome, USA
Breakfast at the hotel and departure to Rome in time to reach the airport to board you flight back home. [B]
[B] = Breakfast | [B/L] = Breakfast and Dinner
- Round-trip airfare USA-Rome
- Private arrival transfer from Fiumicino to Rome
- Privat departure transfer from Orvieto to Fiumicino
- 7 nights hotel accommodation:
- Rome – 3 nights
- Perugia - 2 nights
- Orvieto 2 nights
- Breakfast daily
- 2 lunches (including drinks)
- 3-hour walking sightseeing group tour in Rome
- Skip the line tickets at Coliseum
- 3-hour group tour of Vatican City
- 2.5-hour private walking tour of Assisi
- Entrance tickets to St. Francis Basilica
- 2.5-hour private walking tour of Perugia
- Full-day tour of Orvieto
- Entrance tickets to Orvieto’s Museum
- Full-day excursion to Civita Bagnoregio and Bolsena Lake (no guide)
- Transportation by private A/C vehicles for the tour with stops in Terni and Spoleto
- English speaking driver/guides while on tour
- English speaking guides in Rome, Assisi and Perugia
- English speaking driver for transfers
- Entrance fees to sites visited
Not included in tour
- Taxes or surcharges related to airline tickets
- Cities tax (to be paid locally at hotels)
- Travel insurance
- All alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- Other meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Extras and gratuities
- Early check-in, late check-out
- Expenses of personal nature
Hotels in your Tour
|Nord Nuova Roma||4|
|Perugia||Primavera Mini Hotel||4.5|
|Locanda della Posta||4.5|
Hotels will be confirmed at time of booking
From: $2,179 including airfare
Add-ons available from all US gateways.
Prices are per person and may change without notice
This program can be customized for individuals and groups.
Changes to this program may be requested by phone (1855-55-TOURS) or using the web FIT Quote Request
We also be glad to adjust the airfare from your gateway so you take advantage of our special discounted leisure fares
You may add or remove;
Cities and sites
The program was designed with private services, however, we may substitute shared sightseeing where available
If you prefer deluxe services we may operate this program including private driver, private guide and concierge service.
Once we have designed the program the way you want we'll give you a quote within 2 business days.
Tour Code: IT07ROM21IC
- Lunches and dinners can be arranged for individuals, families and groups at top restaurants or any restaurant requested by you.
- We can revise the itinerary to spend more time and provide more depth in those areas that you are interested on.
- Any other changes to the itinerary will be accommodated depending on the facilities available in the area.
- Private arrival and/or departure transfer
- The options suggested in the itinerary will be quoted at time of booking
- If you wish to use these programs for your group or as the basis for a customized journey please either call us (1-855-55-TOURS or use the web Group Quote Request.
- In either case our specialists will work with to refine all the details and they will get you a quote with 2 business days. Quotes may be obtained for the air and land portions of just for the lad journey.
- Booking both air an land with us will represent savings for you because of our buying power and longtime relationship with the airlines.
- We will also may have the choice between regular fares and special leisure fares not available to the public.
Hotel City Taxes
|City||First Class||Superior Tourist|
|Rome||€ 4,00||€ 6,00|
|Perugia||€ 3,50||€ 4,50|
Taxes are per person per night for adults 14 years old or more