Wines and Gastronomy of Portugal
Wines and Gastronomy of Portugal
|Purpose:||Gastronomy, History, Culture, Discovery|
|No. of days:||8 days - 7 nights|
|First & Last Cities:||Oporto, Lisbon|
|Other cities:||Peso da Regua (Douro Valley), Sangalhos, Buçaco, Coimbra, Obidos, Sintra, Evora|
|Starting cost:||From: $1,435 including airfare|
Day 1: Oporto
Upon arrival at Oporto airport you’ll be met by our representative and transferred to the hotel for check-in. Rest of the day free. Overnight in Porto.
Day 2: Oporto
Breakfast at the hotel. The city of Oporto is rich in well-preserved treasures, including Gothic, Baroque and Neoclassical monuments, as the Cathedral, the Tower of Clérigos and the area of Ribeira (UNESCO world heritage site). Despite a stark preservation of ancient monu-ments and being a traditional city, Oporto also stands out for having ultra-modern buildings, much admired by international architects: Casa da Música, Serralves Foundation, among many others. Visit to a Port wine cellar with a superb view over the old Ribeira. Overnight in Porto. [B/T]
Day 3: Oporto, Peso da Régua (Douro Valley)
Breakfast at the hotel and checkout. We set to the phenomenal Douro region, the first demarcated wine region of the World (1756) and where the famous Port Wine is produced. We will learn more about the production of the wines, while enjoying the beautiful landscape, World Heritage by UNESCO since 2001. The tour through the Douro Valley is ideal for getting to know the culture of wine in the region of the Douro Valley, the culture of the people and the great natural beauty of the river and its valley, no doubt one of the most beautiful in Europe. Lunch in a local vineyard with visit and wine tasting. Dinner at the hotel. Overnight in the Douro Valley. [B/L/T]
Day 4: Peso da Régua (Douro Valley), Sangalhos, Buçaco, Coimbra
Enjoy breakfast at the hotel and head to the Bairrada region where abundant rainfall and mild temperatures help to produce grapes with high acidity and low alcohol content, ideal for making sparkling wines. Visit a wine cellar and enjoy a wine tasting. In the afternoon, proceed to the large and majestic forest of Serra do Buçaco, a genuine botanical garden with 700 species, protected by a Papal Bull issued in the 17th century. Departure to Coimbra. Check-in at the hotel. Overnight in Coimbra. [B/T]
Day 5: Coimbra, Óbidos, Lisbon
In Coimbra, called the city of students for hosting one of the first universities in Europe and the most important of the country, stroll the oldest part of the city, made of narrow streets that lead to the top of the hill. From Coimbra continue south to the charming village of Óbidos. Travel back in time in this walled medieval town and admire its Gothic churches and the narrow winding cobblestone streets. Proceed to Lisbon for check-in and overnight at the hotel. [B]
Day 6: Lisbon (Sintra)
Breakfast at the hotel. In a city that has been influenced by many different far-off cultures over time, there is still a village feel in each historic neighborhood. Stroll through the Pombaline grid of streets in the Baixa district that opens on to the Tagus in Praça do Comércio, then follow the river to discover some of the city’s most beautiful parts: the monumental area of Belém with its World Heritage monu-ments, the mediaeval district of Alfama and the latest contemporary leisure spaces, such as the Parque das Nações. Departure to Sintra, a beautiful village declared world heritage by UNESCO. Discover the charms and history of Sintra, explore the historic center and taste the local delights: Travesseiros and Queijadas. In the evening, take a cab to a traditional restaurant for dinner while enjoying a Fado show. Return to the hotel on your own. [B/D]
Day 7: Lisbon (Évora)
After breakfast at the hotel set out to Évora, a walled city was declared World Heritage by UNESCO, standing in the middle of the beautiful plains of the Alentejo. We will visit the Roman Temple, dating back to the 3rd century AD and recovered in the 19th century and the strange Chapel of Bones, built in the 16th century, with its pillars and walls covered with bones. Free time to lunch. Then visit to a wine cellar to taste samples of local wines. Return to Lisbon for overnight at the hotel. [B/T]
Day 8: Lisbon, USA
Enjoy breakfast and checkout. At the appointed time you’ll be picked-up for your transfer to Lisbon airport where you’ll board your flight back home. [B]
Note: Most monuments are closed on Mondays and on national holidays.
[B] = Breakfast | [B/D] = Breakfast and Dinner | [B/T] = Breakfast and Tasting | [B/L/T] = Breakfast, Lunch and Tasting | [B/L/D/T] = Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Tasting
- Airfare USA-Oporto/Lisbon-USA
- Arrival and departure transfers
- 7 nights’ accommodation:
- Oporto - 2 nights
- Douro region - 1 night
- Coimbra - 1 night
- Lisbon - 3 nights
- Breakfast daily
- 1 lunch at a wine estate
- 1 Dinner and Fado show (Transfers not included)
- 3 wine tastings
- Guided visit to a Port wine cellar with wine tasting
- 2 guided visits to a wine estate with wine tasting
- A/C transport during the itinerary
- Private full-day tour of Lisbon & Sintra
- Private full-day tour in Porto
- A/C vehicle during the itinerary
Not included in tour
- Any taxes related to airfares or airports
- Meals not mentioned under inclusions
- Travel insurance
- Porterage service
- Courier guide
- Tips to guides or drivers
- Expenses of a personal nature
- Any item not mentioned as “Included”
- City Tax at Lisbon (1 Euro per person, night)
- City Tax at Oporto (2 Euros per person, night)
Hotels in your Tour
|Porto||HF Tuela Porto Hotel||4|
|Douro||Hotel Régua Douro||4|
|Coimbra||Hotel Dona Inês||4.5|
|Porto||Vila Galé Porto||4|
|Douro||Hotel Régua Douro||4|
|Coimbra||Vila Galé Coimbra||4|
|Porto||Pestana Vintage Porto||4.5|
|Douro||The Vintage House Hotel||4.5|
|Coimbra||Quinta das Lágrimas||4|
|Lisbon||Tivoli Avenida Liberdade||4|
Hotels will be confirmed at time of booking
From: $1,435 including airfare
Add-ons available from all US gateways.
Prices are per person and may change without notice
This program can be customized for individuals and groups.
Changes to this program may be requested by phone (1855-55-TOURS) or using the web FIT Quote Request
We also be glad to adjust the airfare from your gateway so you take advantage of our special discounted leisure fares
You may add or remove;
Cities and sites
The program was designed with private services, however, we may substitute shared sightseeing where available
If you prefer deluxe services we may operate this program including private driver, private guide and concierge service.
Once we have designed the program the way you want we'll give you a quote within 2 business days.
Tour Code: PT09OPO21OT
- Lunches and dinners can be arranged for individuals, families and groups at top restaurants or any restaurant requested by you.
- We can revise the itinerary to spend more time and provide more depth in those areas that you are interested on.
- Any other changes to the itinerary will be accommodated depending on the facilities available in the area.
- Private arrival and/or departure transfer
- The options suggested in the itinerary will be quoted at time of booking
- If you wish to use these programs for your group or as the basis for a customized journey please either call us (1-855-55-TOURS or use the web Group Quote Request.
- In either case our specialists will work with to refine all the details and they will get you a quote with 2 business days. Quotes may be obtained for the air and land portions of just for the lad journey.
- Booking both air and land with us will represent savings for you because of our buying power and longtime relationship with the airlines.
- We will also may have the choice between regular fares and special leisure fares not available to the public.